Term 1 2010

The following is my incomplete summary of Term 1, 2010. I haven't worked on it in ages, and I don't think I'll ever finish it. Such is the nature of memory. So anyway, it's presented as is.

-------------

Damn, this has been a really fun term.

English has been unbelievably fun. Mostly thanks to Lok, Sathey and Jiggly. ^_^
First off, there was Death of a Salesman. I read the part of Willy Loman, the extremely self-contradictory main character. For those who are not familiar with the play, here is an example.

"Chevrolet … is the greatest car ever built!"
"That goddamn Chevrolet, they ought to prohibit the manufacture of that car!"


Yeah, so, besides all that, for weeks after we finished reading through the play, Jiggly, who read the part of Willy's dead brother who Willy imagines is telling him to commit suicide, whenever I said something that he disagreed with, he would say "Oh go suicide Willy!"


Sometimes he would elaborate on the pleasures of telling a dude to commit suicide and would constantly be amused that the dude actually did it, so we concluded that Jiggly was in fact, the devil. Until Sathey was later caught saying things such as "Satan is good!" and "I am Lucifer in disguise!". Although he claimed that that was not what he meant, nobody really listened to him. XD  

"Can your related text be a dream you had?" - Jiggly


I also finally learned the art of writing a non-serious essay. So basically, I have barely been taking this subject seriously for most of this term, but I don't think I've actually suffered for it. As long as I still end up getting the same kind of awesome marks, this is how I will roll. =D  

A subject like Drama should really have more memories, but I do believe it's so consistently awesome that it's difficult to single a few things out. I must say though, things like Daniel wearing a dress, Olly giving his serial killer look in several situations, and a twenty minute semi-improvised restaurant scene!

I really, really love our drama class. There's so much positive energy. No, I don't mean that in a new-agey way, but it just feels so good to be in drama.

Maths, probably my least interesting subject. Owen insults everyone (which, all things considered, people seem to take pretty well) and Eda says things that make Cynthia laugh uncontrollably for several minutes on end. Also Noor says "noonga!" a lot. That's pretty much it.

Ancient history with Ms Kite, hmm. Did we do any work in class? Absolutely not. We've had tea twice in term 1 for no apparent reason, spent entire periods poking fun at Joan Fletcher's accent ("It's beauutaful"), witnessed the historical inaccuracies of an Afro wig appearing in a dramatisation of Ancient Egypt, and discussed Krishna's marriage prospects (for the record, he wishes to marry someone who looks like Megan Fox and has an IQ of over 200. He also plans to raise his children as a family unit cricket team.)

We had an ancient history excursion, which was basically us going to the city and attending a bunch of lectures. But that is obviously not why it was great. Afterwards, a couple of us thought, hey, we're in the city, and we have time to kill, so we went exploring. Which mostly consisted of shopping (well, it IS the city. =P). We passed some awesome stuff like a store selling replica medieval and modern weaponry and equipment, some sort of hotel that had my name in it, and an uncanny number of backpacker hostels. It was most likely the best day of the term.

Wednesday afternoons in the alley were truly random. There was this one time me and Sneha ran off and tried to hide from Bec, but she found us anyway. And then Bec gave me her cane and refused to take it back. XD

I also often spent Wednesday afternoons tracking down Praween.

Business Studies -

Music -

English Extension -


On the last day, I went through a business studies exam, cross country (I, er, puked) then a frantic rush to the movies to see Alice in Wonderland. Except, we didn't actually watch that. Cos me and Maggie came so late from cross country, we watched "She's Out of My League" instead. Which after watching, we all agreed was probably better than Alice in Wonderland. Think about it, a rom-com that's actually good. =P

"Excuse me, are you a plane doctor? No. So shut the hell up."

"I'M THE GENIE"

"He's like a spider. He's more afraid of you than you are of him. Also his legs are long."

"I'M NOT LEAVING! I'M NOT LEAVING!... alright alright i'm leaving"

So, it was me, Kausthub, Dinusha, Maggie and Ihita? Hope I didn't forget anyone.

One more thing...shortly after I posted "Acceptance" (which, for those who haven't been paying attention, involved finally getting over a crush), after an English lesson on Thursday, Sathey noticed I was singing. He said that he hadn't heard me do that in a while. I smiled and told him, "Well, I guess I have a lot less on my mind."

Making the reveal on facebook was a truly monumental decision. It was the most liberating thing, simultaneously confessing and giving up in front of (potentially) hundreds of people. There's only so long that you can hold something like that without exhausting yourself. Some people think it was stupid, but I still think it was the smartest way to do things. It's like knocking down the very foundations and rebuilding. There's no way that I could have continued on like that. Although I was left feeling a bit quivery the following day at my English excursion. XD

So, I do believe that was fairly comprehensive. Hope you managed to read it all, let alone enjoy it. XD

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Music