The Open Page

Some time in the holidays, I realised I hadn't read a book in ages. So, one day I went out to the library to borrow some books. I stopped by KFC and Julia was serving at the counter. It was a little awkward, but awesome. So anyway, I borrowed three books in the holidays, and here I am, one and a half months later (at least), only just returning them. Well, I returned one of them several weeks prior (Salvation in Death - J D Robb), but heck, I only just finished the second one (The Fade - Chris Wooding), and didn't even start on the third one (Slatewiper - Lewis Perdue). I did enjoy what I read, mind you, but I had trouble finding the time to read them. I tend to waste a lot of time in the first place, so couldn't I have just easily slotted my reading time in place of the usual distractions?

Well, that's the trouble. Most other distractions tend to run in the background - music, facebook, msn, yep, you can do any of those whilst "working". And what about television? Well, that doesn't require any active effort. You just sit down, and it will draw you in, no effort required on your part. When you're reading a book, you can't do something else at the same time, and it takes effort. This is almost certainly why a lot of people can't find the time to read. They're under the perception that they're busy, that there's not enough time to read, when really, they're not busy. They're busy TRYING to be busy, but getting distracted.

So, when reading The Fade I consciously decided that I would plough through the book, with complete and utter disregard for anything else I had to do. I shut myself in my room and read for hours. I haven't done something like that in so long. It felt good. And it was definitely a much better usage of my time than usual. So, what can you get from reading this? You have more time than you think you do. If you're going to 'waste' it, make the most out of it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Music