My mother was worried that my uniform would get stolen if I left it in my bag after buying it. A school uniform.
"Yeah, and someone's going to want to steal a school uniform"- Ihita
It's not exactly an isolated issue. Every time I lose something, the first thing she asks is if someone stole it. Umbrellas, lunch boxes, and even pens. My mother really can't trust people. It runs deep. Ever since primary school, where I was repeatedly targeted (bullied if you will, but it became quite an issue), she doesn't really trust anyone, sometimes not even my FRIENDS. Where in contrast, I have absolutely no problems trusting people in most circumstances.
Two different perspectives, fostered under the same circumstances. What was different?
I've always been a naive optimist, hoping for the best, no matter how long it takes for it to happen. As such, I tend to trust people, and forgive them if they betray my trust. No, not like a doormat. ;D
What I mean is, I like to give them a certain amount of grace, because there is no knowing what good it could yield. I've seen enemies become friends, in fact, I've experienced it myself.
My mother probably lost her trust after watching me get tangled up in incident after incident. You know, once you see something bad happen to someone you care about, you don't want to see it happen again. Her mistrust of those who targeted me seems to have extended to others. She tends to get pre-conceived ideas of people she doesn't even know, and makes judgements without knowing half of the story. Yes, she does care a great deal about my well-being, but she does so to the point of it being a critical fault.
If you can't trust people, then you can never get to know them. When you don't know someone very well, it is usually true that you only see one side of them, a two dimensional version of the person. Following that line of thought, if you had never really gotten to know someone who is now one of your closest friends, where would you be? It's an almost unimaginable possibility. But there was a point in time where you hardly knew the said person. Someone reached out and made the connection. Nothing would ever have happened without that act of trust.
If my mother was more trusting, things would be very different.
0 comments:
Post a Comment