Judy Rosen of Rolling Stone awarded the album with four stars out of five, commenting that "the real concept here is:Michael Jackson tribute album. And a damn good one.Ne-Yo is clearly a big fan of Michael Jackson. What struck me is just what he was able to accomplish by drawing from his aspirations and turning it into something tangible. Which reminded be that for a while now I haven't really has any solid aspirations. When I started high school, I was pretty damn determined to make a name for myself as a performer. I aimed to do this because after spending so many years being bullied in primary, I wanted to try and gain popularity. And for what it's worth, that goal has been more or less accomplished.
But for some time I guess I've just been resting on my laurels. I do one thing that's great and then I'm like, hey, I don't have to try as hard anymore. What am I aspiring to now? Nothing. It's not surprising that some of my worst performances were done last year. Yes, I'm generalising a little, but for most of 2010 I was just hoping for the magic to happen.
By all rights, in 2011, there shouldn't be anything standing in my way. I've got a job and my L's. It took me only a few days to make a successful application for that job, and only three days of preparation to get my L's, so I know what I'm capable of when I truly put my mind to something. So rather than dig something up for me to aspire to out of nothing, I'm going to make it something that's consistent with my previous desires. I want to make a lasting impression. And this year, I'll devote myself to doing just that. Life is bigger than just my grade. I'm taking this to the entire school and beyond.
I've promised myself that I'll tie up the all the loose ends before the year is out. I've got the means, and I've got the plans. If everything comes together, it's going to be one hell of a year.
Lets toast it up.
2 comments:
A Post that hits home (:
I look forwards to seeing where this takes you ^^
Sometimes after we achieve something we lose sight of what we had planned for the long run. Also, what we had planned sometimes only stay as plans because we are afraid. Why afraid? Maybe it's because it looks good as a plan it's too big of a step in reality. That is not to say we shouldn't try but sometimes things don't go to plan and you have to go with it and see where it leads you. Perhaps it is for the better.
Post a Comment