Departure

"You haven't changed in what, 5 years?"
"Neither have you."
It's been weeks since this was said, but I keep thinking back to it. The first line was me, the second line was Jennyfer. She was annoyed with how I ditched her to sit with someone else in Extension 2 English. And rightly so. I've done something like that before.

In Year 7, my group consisted of Jen, Durga, Mevandi...you get the picture. Anyway, at the same time, I also had a foot in the door of the group of Matt, Daniel and Murali and the rest of them. I don't know how I got there, but I did. Being the stupid year 7 kid that I was, I wanted to be in a popular group. Not to mention that at the time it felt kind of weird to be hanging out with girls.

There was a point where I had to make a decision. To put it in Jennyfer's words, as I remember, "you either choose them, or us.

As it turned out, I ended up leaving. A lot has changed over the last 5 or so years. I'm not so concerned with being in a popular group (let alone THAT one), and I'm completely fine with hanging out with girls. But in the face of another crossroads it's incredible how such a simple sentence can still ring so true.While we've managed to cross paths again over the years as the alley group merged with the b-block group, it  turns out I'm leaving once again.

All this connection, and yet I feel so lonely. My group of friends used to be tighter knit. And much more affectionate. But as it stands now, it's just...fragmented. We've got a bunch of people playing cards, some people taking walks, some people just mulling. In Year 8 when I joined the alley, I found an incredible sense of community. I loved how it made me feel loved. But as a whole it's just not doing it for me anymore. Well, that's the simplified version anyway. 

I don't know how I'm going to wrap up all my loose ends neatly. I don't know where I'm going to be by the time school ends. I don't know who will be standing with me and who won't. I just don't know. 

2 comments:

"All this connection, and yet I feel so lonely." I couldn't have said it better myself.

People come and go. We change. Belonging is transient and it is only as we perceive it to be. Some times in order to move forward per se, we must be willing to leave. We don't know if our choices are necessarily 'right' but by instinct it's probably what we need. Things that follow any choice? We'll just have to wait and see.

 

That's what I hate about our group. We've gravitated towards that umbrella thing, instead of going back to the hole.
I kind of hate talking walks now. It's sounds terrible, when half the time I'm the needy one and the other half is when I'm the support part. But, I don't know. It's quite saddening.

 

Post a Comment

Music