Look Around You

"You NEED maths!" says my brother, whilst my mum lectures me about how I'll drop maths if it is my worst performing subject.
"Drop ancient history and drama!", she tells me. Alright, I can understand her complaining about ancient history, she has somewhat valid grounds (I haven't really enjoyed history in the past few years, but ancient is very good imo)...but I know she's bringing drama into the argument because she hates it. If you bring something into an argument for reasons like that, I'm going to stop listening completely. I can't stand that kind of reasonless prejudice. What, do you think subjects like drama are utterly useless?

Maths, science, they're based on rules. All well and good. But there are things that you can't learn by following rigid conventions. Lets take a look at Drama, for instance. It has virtually no rules, no rigid conventions, no definites, but it's been much more useful to me than Maths and Science could ever be. It's vastly improved my confidence and movement ability - if you will, it's helped improve some important life skills. So what makes it less important than the 'real' subjects?

If anything, subjects that don't rely on definites get you thinking more than subjects that do have definites. Are people afraid of having to think for themselves?

There's a whole world outside of numbers and figures, so long as you look for it.

4 comments:

this post has been around for a couple of months, thought it was about time I finished it up. ^_^

 

I agree with your ideas. There are some things that some subjects can't teach you. Come to think of it, there are many things that school can't/doesn't teach you.
It is also true that some subjects are thought of as 'lesser' subjects because they aren't considered 'real'.
I know what you mean though..what makes a subject less 'real' than another. In one case, What makes Biology less of a 'proper' science than Physics? Sure physics is the root of all sciences but it doesn't mke it any harder to learn. Why should other people look down on people who do Bio? Likewise for any other subject.
"What is real? How do you define 'real'?" - Morpheus (The Matrix). So it is a matter of perception. =P

 

Maths is like so cool when you get down and know how to answer all the questions. It makes me dizzy with so many emotions. That vary on how late I was to school on that day.

Wooo maths colooours.

And to all the people who diss Biology, no really fuck off. It's people like you who are most likely trying to have impressive jobs because your fucking background imposes it on you. And just because I'm good at biology isn't the reason why I am standing up for it. I think Music is great, and I am very uncreative/the worst at it. It's as real as Biology and your Physics. You know, one day you're just going to be a pathetic piece of shit. And you know it. Fuck, it's people like you who think you're so great with your Phys/Chem/-anything that requires a textbook-/3Math3Eng combinations. You're not. You're just like the rest of us. And if you want to complain about how much you think a certain school subject is not 'real' because it doesn't scale well, you can't fathom how much I want to slap you.

----


yeah I am angsty at the moment. Sorry for making your comment section MA, Aaron. I LOVE YOU AARON. 'you' is not Aaron.

 

Post a Comment

Music